BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Introduction

Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.
Carol Burnett

I liked to start by with a brief introduction. I am a forty something divorcee with a seven year old son. I got divorced about six years ago (more about this later). I was born in the south (SC) and moved to NY when I very young (around three or four). After we moved to NY, every summer my mother would pack me up and send me to my grandmother’s house.

I am about 5’ 4’’. I always thought I had a mocha complexion until someone described my complexion as the color of tequila. The description stuck.

Between pre-k and 5th grade we moved around a lot and I never really established the ability to maintain friendships. As soon as I got comfortable we moved. This changed when I entered into 6th grade finally I was able to stay in the same school district until I graduated. Unfortunately it wasn’t a district that did not support me socially. I was described as cute but too dark with bad hair. It was easier to get straight A’s then to get date.

Fast forward to my college years; my last seven years of school was spent in a predominantly white school which impacted my college selection. I chose to stick with what I new, a predominantly white college.

Fast forward to pre-marriage; I never knew my father. He didn’t want to meet me when I reached out. I think this colored my idea of what I was looking for in a husband. I think what I was looking for was a father figure. That is just what I got. It took too long for me realized my mistake. I am an independent thinker and couldn’t stand someone telling me how to do everything. The marriage ended badly.

Present day; now I am single parent with a good job and no real social life. You usually can find me at work or doing something with my son. My goal is to learn how to balance all aspect of life.

  • I want to be the best parent I can be.
  • I want to be successful at my job.
  • I want to have an active social life.
  • I want to be involved in a relationship.
  • I want to have time to my self.

So, come join me in my journey. I hope that my successes and failures can act as lessons or inspirations to others.

1 comments:

Nubian1 said...

Write down different list for the different aspects of your life of what it is you want. Focus only on what you want. For example if you are writing a list of the type of man you want to come into your life and your sons, you write something similar to this:

1) My life partner (assuming that is what you want)is maintaining a healthy life style and is careful about what he puts in his body.
Instead of saying 'I dont want an alcoholic or a smoker'

I have a similar list it grows it changes...and that is life!

Good luck with life in general and thanks for posting a comment on my blog!